Is it possible to disable LLDP on the APs?

Cristek

Is it possible to disable LLDP on the APs?

Post by Cristek »

Hi guys,

I was doing an install just this week into a network environment that I didn't have any control over!
As I was connecting APs to this site's several switches, those switch were then assigning a different VLAN than the one that the IT assigned to that port for the wifi.

I asked if he had any advanced network policies and he said no. I then asked if he had LLDP enabled and after a bit of troubleshooting, we figured out that it was indeed LLDP that caused this issue. It was disabled on all switches after 2 days (they were quite slow to help me :() and we moved on!

They did ask me to disable LLDP on the APs as I was installing them but I was unable to figure out how to do it, and if that's even possible!
So, is this even possible? Could I have saved myself 2 days of headaches with a stubborn IT team?
silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Is it possible to disable LLDP on the APs?

Post by silvio »

In my knowledge there is no official command to disable lldp at the AP. But maybe via a ticket you get a solution.
But if I understand correctly the switch itself changes the untagged (management) vlan at the port to the AP. Correct?
So this is a local problem at the switch. The AP tells the switch via lldp only that there is an AP connected.
F.e. at omniswitches with unp config there is a default setting to detect stellar AP. You can disable this default behavior. And I assume that is the same at other switches.
BR Silvio
Cristek

Re: Is it possible to disable LLDP on the APs?

Post by Cristek »

Hi Silvio,
Yes, disabling LLDP on the switches did solve the problem as I expected, but they were just slow to help me (the IT crowd that controlled the network and servers).
I pretty much knew it was LLDP once they said they didn't have any policies in place for port mobility (switches were HP and Arubas).
I might ask ALE in a SR if this ever happens again to me.

Return to “OmniAccess Stellar Express”