OS 9600 reset

m_bakhranov1985

OS 9600 reset

Post by m_bakhranov1985 »

Hello all,
I have an OS 9600 switch which I don't know if it's been configured before it got to me. When I connect through ethernet(PC) to ethernet(switch), it seems to be identified at 192.168.1.1 by ping and login page in browser. The default admin/switch credentials don't work for the web interface, the error states that the server is unreachable. When I try to connect through ethernet(PC) to console(switch), the windows hyperterminal requests the credentials but in the end reports the same error as with the web interface. When I try to connect through console(PC) to console(switch), with COM settings as baud rate=9600, parity=no, data bits=8, stop bit=1, flow control=Xoff/Xon, there's nothing in the hyperterminal window at all. Could you please tell:
1. Is the error related to wrong credentials or is there some internal problem with the switch?
2. How to connect properly to reset to factory defaults?

Thank you.
devnull
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: OS 9600 reset

Post by devnull »

So do you get anything at the console port?
Often it's a cabeling problem:
COM-port ->the special Alcatel Adapter (NO cisco console cable) and Ethernet cable -> Console of switch

For resetting/removing the passwords you need to have working console access.
Reset is by unpowering the switch, remove the CMM, jumper PINs 1&2 of J5011m insert CMM, power on.

Now you should be able to break at "Hit any key to stop autoboot"
-> run miniboot
-> cd "network"
-> ls
-> rm "userTableX" (X being "5" for release >6.3.1 and 4 for earlier releases)
-> reboot /powerdown
(maybe remove the jumper -> will make break of start sequence impossible)
-> login with admin/switch
m_bakhranov1985

Hi devnull,
Thank you for the reply, got another couple of questions though...:
1. We were trying with a random com->ethernet cable, we'll try to find the original one. But do we need to perform both operations
you specified? I mean, other than the console commands, do we have to tweak the hardware too? Also, is there any preferred terminal app, or is the
standard windows hyperterminal is good too?
2. The J5011m is not on the board, just one without the 'm'. It has 8 pairs of 'legs' and currently has no jumpers at all. On the right hand side of it we can see
the labels, I guess specifying what each pair of legs does. So do we put a jumper on the pair labeled as 'reset'?

Thanks again
m_bakhranov1985

Just a quick update,
Looks like we found the original adapter and now we how something printed out on the console window, but it's gibberish. We tried saving the log to play with the encoding then, but still no luck. Any thoughts?
Thanks
devnull

Post by devnull »

Normaly there is a grey adapter like
looking like http://www.networktechinc.com/images/db9f-rj45f.jpg
One side goes to the Com-port, the other side uses a normal Ethernet cable (straight) to the console port of the switch.

It is the same adapter that you need for all Alcatel switches. (Ask a Alcatel Partner they normally have tons of spare ones) or build one for yourself, pin setting should be in this forum somewhere.

If the switch is reset a login on ssh/http is probably not possible as the authentication is not allowed.

resetted the switch should allow admin/switch on console only.

hence you need a console connection to the CMM, if you don't have one you are stuck.

Terminal programm: I prefer putty or securecrt, but you can use hypreterminal, teraterm or whatever.

the "m" was a typo of mine.

I have no 9600 at hand, just posted my documentation. but this is all not needed IF you can access the console (given it is admin/switch there)

If you can't login (as you have lost the passwort
m_bakhranov1985

Hello devnull,
Thanks a lot for the help.
We can't get anything to the console, just some gibberish malformed text.
Could you please confirm if I got everything right from your suggestions?
1.In the browser, when we try to connect through web interface, the "Error-Authentication failure: Server temporarily unreachable. Please try later" means that the authentication has not been allowed for web and that needs to be done through the console. Is this correct?
2.Now, to connect through console, we need the credentials. Since we don't have those, we need to reset the switch.
3.To reset the switch, we need to pause the startup process which is made possible after setting the jumper on appropriate pins of the j5011.

So we need the console anyway, and since we can't get it to work, we're most probably stuck. Is this right?
Could the "Error-Authentication failure: Server temporarily unreachable. Please try later" also mean that there is some internal problem with the hardware?

Thanks again.
devnull

Post by devnull »

1.: probably. At least it seems as if you have wrong password, authentication is not allowed or autehtication is configured towards a non-functional Radius server
2. Yes, try admin/switch on console for start
3. yes

Yeah you need console access (Alcatel Adapter, correct setting aso.. gibberish is wrong), check whether you console port has 9600/8/N/1 (which is default, not sure whether someone changed it on switch side -> if you have a working alcatel console adapter (test on other switch?!) and still see gibberish, cycle through speed settings)

I do not believe that a temporary unreachable auth server is a hardware issue
m_bakhranov1985

Hello devnull,
We finally were able to log into the switch through a web browser. What we did is we found the same switch, got the flash image and recovered it onto our switch flash card.
I guess now we'll reset it to factory defaults and start the setup from beginning.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Cheers
devnull

Post by devnull »

Still you need console access..
After factory reset web is no longer possible and remember removing boot.cfg does not remove the users.
m_bakhranov1985

devnull,
We got the console access at last. I was able to perform the steps you outlined in your first reply. As far as I understand removing that table only resets the users and that's it. But is there a way to restore to factory defaults, I mean all the settings, like system name, vlans, etc. Will removing the boot.cfg do that?
Thank you

Return to “OmniSwitch 9000 / 9000E”