Alcatel OmniSwitch console connection

MMahfouz

Alcatel OmniSwitch console connection

Post by MMahfouz »

Dear all

I really believe that you can find a solution for my issue

I still new to Alcatel Omniswitches world, I worked with Cisco for long time, but now I have new Alcatel Omniswitch 4650 24 port and 48 port, it came with
45RJ TO DB9 Adapter not console cable, i have to use an Ethernet patch cord to connect between the console port in the switch to this 45RJ- TO- DB9 adapter
I have tried Straight, Crossover and rolled over patch cord to connect via console to this adapter but i still can't get any information in Hyper Terminal or Putty
from the switch at all, I make the same setting as Alcatel says in the manual, and tried different adapter because i have more than one switch, and i made sure that
my connection with the COM port is ok by trying it with Aruba Access point here and it works well too,
so I just want to know which kind of Ethernet patch cord i can use with this adapter to configure the switch

Thanks in advance for your kind support

Mahmoud
silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Alcatel OmniSwitch console connection

Post by silvio »

Hi Mahmoud,
never heard about OS4650 - but if you have OS6450 than you have to use the DB9 adapter and a straight patch cable. If this adapter works at the aruba AP than you have the wrong adapter used. Aruba adapter is like cisco. For the omniswitches you have to use an other adapter (delivered with every switch). You can differ than from the aruba/alcatel wlan adapter following: at the RJ45 side there are one contact from the 8 contacts missing.
regards
Silvio
MMahfouz

Post by MMahfouz »

Hi Silvio

First of all, Thanks a lot for your reply. I highly appreciated.
So sorry it's only my mistake with the Sw name " I have 6450 and 6850 ", I meant by trying COM port with Aruba, that my console connection " USB- TO- Serial converter" are
working well, but with Aruba I used a Cisco console cable +USB- TO- Serial converter" not that RJ45-TO-DB9 adapter came with Alcatel Omniswitch only to try that my COM port connection is working well. and limited the issue with "Alcatel adapter and the Ethernet Patch cord i should use with this adapter"
Anyway, When I used Straight Patch cord with the RJ45-To-DB9 adapter delivered with the switch from alcatel, nothing appear in Hyper Terminal or Putty, " only in Hyper Terminal if i kept pressing any key on my Keyboard it start show some strange symbol " every about a minute show one symbol in Hyper Terminal screen, that is all
things I have tried :
I'm tried with laptop having COM port and another with USB-TO-Serial converter
I have tried using laptop with WIN 7 32Bit and 64bit.
change the setting of the Hyper Terminal, for bit rate and and so one.
Try different Alcatel Omniswitches " all brand new " first time use "
Make sure that the straight patch cord that i use is working well,

Notice:
all switches came with a software license certificate, i don't know if that means the device came without firmware at all, or i only should upgrade the exist one for getting extra option.

Regards,
Mahmoud
koto

Post by koto »

Hi Sir,

there is different pin on console for omni and other vendor ... if you buy omni, on the box you will find the DB9 connector, you just need to connect the DB9 to USB Serial Console + UTP Stright Cable ....

By default omni 6450 running with default AOS image/firmware (R 6.x.x) ... for the first time you don't need to do anything for the firmware .... just connect your console and play with your omni
crosset

Post by crosset »

Hi,
I need to get hold of an additional RJ45 to DB9 connector for an Alcatel-Lucent omniswitch (6850). Does anyone know where I can buy one?
Thanks.
devnull

Post by devnull »

You can build one by yourself viewtopic.php?f=337&t=19473

You can ask a Alcatel Partner/Distributor.. (we throw them away in numbers..) any AOS Switch has one in the box.

You can probably buy it somewhere, but building it yourself using something like http://www.amazon.de/DB9-Modular-Adapte ... B00173JQAO would probably be faster if you have no partner around..
namtg

Post by namtg »

dear all!
I have Acaltel-lucent ISAM7360 Fx4, but I can not console to this equipment (i'm use Laptap, USB->RS232 converter - Console calbe (RS232 - RJ45 converter)).
I think has problem with console cable. I'm connect using(follow this below picture):
I think may be has some incorrect pinout on console cable.
So, plz help me show the correct connection pinout on console cable for ISAM 7360.
Thanks so much!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
odaiy

Post by odaiy »

كيف يمكنني عمل رسترلسنترال الكاتل 4200e
cavagnaro

Post by cavagnaro »

This one beat everyone else posting in another language

Enviado de meu E6633 usando Tapatalk
Ignorance is not the problem, the problem is the one who doesn't want to learn

OTUC/ICS ACFE/ACSE R3.0/4.0/5.0/6.0
Certified Genesys CIV 8.5
Certified Genesys Troubleshooting 8.5
Certified Genesys BEP 8.x
Genesys Developer
aruijtenberg

Post by aruijtenberg »

You can use a Cisco DB9 to RJ45 console cable with a RJ45 coupler and these pinouts. (see attachment)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Legacy Devices (OS4024, XOS, OmniCore)”