oversize frames on fiber port

fripouille

oversize frames on fiber port

Post by fripouille »

Hello,

I'm taking the liberty of opening this post because I need an explanation of something we've noticed with a customer who's reported latency problems on his network.

Here is our architecture:
- a stack of two OS6865-U28X (called "core")
- a stack of two OS2360-P24X-EU (called "RG") attached in dual 10Giga via DAC-Cable
- a stack of two OS2360-P24X-EU (called "SR01") attached in dual 1Giga via optical fibre.

After analysing the statistics for each switch, I'm seeing errors on oversize frames, error frames and CRC error frames.

I have errors on the 10Giga and 1Giga ports only on the OS2360-P24X-EU stacks.
There are no errors on the core network.

Another phenomenon I'm observing concerns the 10Giga-DAC links.
Between the RG switch and the core, the "Long Frame Size(Bytes)" value is 9216 at both ends, whereas the value on the 10G links used by the VFL is 10304.

Is it normal for the value on the link to the core to be 9216 for a 10Giga link?

In your opinion, are all these statistics linked to the problem reported by the customer, given that the links are not saturated (between 10 and 15% of the bandwidth used).

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

PS: I've attached the various statistics I've observed.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: oversize frames on fiber port

Post by silvio »

I am wondering about the same value for RX Oversize and CRC at all the ports.
I assume the oversize is an display issue - you need to check with ALE support (but only with actal AOS release).
CRC is mostly bad fibre connection (dirty connectors etc.). Use other connections/patchcables (if possible).
Strange is, that the RX issue is only seen at the 2360er - that means that always the same direction in the cable is bad. Do you use actual firmware / uboot at the 2360? if not than update them.
About the different (allowed) jumbo frame size. This is not the reason for your problems.
best regards
Silvio
fripouille

Re: oversize frames on fiber port

Post by fripouille »

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have opened a ticket with Alcatel.

Concerning the CRC errors, we used new optical jumpers, and the fibre plates were protected by the plugs. What's more, we have this on all 27 switches on site. That sounds like a lot.... and DAC-Cable were used on the VFL ports, so no fiber-related problems....

The switches are in version 5.2.23.R03 GA, which is the penultimate version to date. I looked in the release note for the latest version and it doesn't seem to have corrected such a problem...

Return to “OmniSwitch 2260 / 2360”