What port Physical is Command PING

marcelo2000x

What port Physical is Command PING

Post by marcelo2000x »

Hi friends.
What CLI command do I use to find out which Card/Slot/Port the specific PING is coming out of?
paramount

Re: What port Physical is Command PING

Post by paramount »

Hi,

There are a number of parts to this.

I am guessing you are asking about physical port instead of next hop/interface as you have a lag or similar and want to know which physical port in the lag your ICMP packet is egressing. This is more difficult than replacing the ping with a treaceroute, setting the source of the ping, checking the fib etc.

I know other manufacturers provide you tools to work out the output of the load balancing hash for a certain combination of src/dest/port etc. But, I don;t think this exists on Nokia OS. I know it should always go out on the same port unless there is a change in the lag members etc.

I have had a look through tools, oam, ping menus etc., but I don't see any switch or command that may help you - be great is someone else knows of a command.
The only thing I can think of, is to apply a filter (def action forward) with a log entry on each physical port to match icmp and your addresses and then see which one racks up the ICMP matches, not pretty, but may help.

Paramount
lo0

Re: What port Physical is Command PING

Post by lo0 »

marcelo2000x wrote: 09 Dec 2019 16:16 Hi friends.
What CLI command do I use to find out which Card/Slot/Port the specific PING is coming out of?
Hi, marcelo2000x. You can use the command show router route-table <prefix> extensive to return the next-hop and egress interface of traffic destined for <prefix>; just replace <prefix> with a valid IP address and CIDR mask. In the following example, we see that traffic destined for Google's DNS server (8.8.8.8/32) from my Service Router is egressing the logical router interface "ae1."

Here's what it will look like:

Code: Select all

B:my-7750-sr# show router route-table 8.8.8.8/32 extensive 

===============================================================================
Route Table (Router: Base)
===============================================================================
Dest Prefix             : 0.0.0.0/0
  Protocol              : BGP
  Age                   : 0237d08h
  Preference            : 170
  Indirect Next-Hop     : x.x.x.x
    QoS                 : Priority=n/c, FC=n/c