What are the pre-requirements for auto-provisioning IP phones?

vic-t

What are the pre-requirements for auto-provisioning IP phones?

Post by vic-t »

New user/partner of ALE here.

I'm trying to setup a lab consisting of one OxoConnect Evolution, one premium IP desk phone, and one simple IP desk phone. My first goal is just to have these 3 devices talking to each other and to be able to make internal calls, I will order an IP trunk and connect it once this works.

The PBX itself came with all licenses preinstalled (2 trunks, 2 phones etc.), so I just had to configure the system. I did so through OMC. Basically, all I configured was LAN (fixed IP in existing LAN subnet, DNS, turned off all DHCP functions of the PBX). Since I was able to set up NTP, it looks as if LAN and DNS are configured correctly. When it comes to DHCP, I reconfigured my existing non-ALE-server with the codes 66 (<ip of pbx>:10443) and 43/sub 67 ('/dmcfg') in accordance with the manual. And of course I checked that auto-provisioning is set to active.

Is there some step I missed? Because auto-provisioning doesn't seem to work, my phones keep restarting after complaining that the tftp server is not responding.

Here are some of the things I tried to troubleshoot this.
  • First, I tried to set the IP and tftp server details manually on the phone. The phone still complains, though, that the tftp server is not responding.
  • So I tried to log in to the tftp server myself, from a PC. While it's not possible to list files through tftp, I can confirm that I can connect to the tftp server correctly. So the DHCP entry for code 66 should be correct. Do you happen to know which files should be there? I could try to download them.
  • I then tried to access https://<ip of pbx>/dmcfg/ from a PC. Apart from the fact that I have to confirm the self-signed certificate, this gives me a 404 error when, as I understand, I should be receiving a configuration file.
I guess the last point is an indication that something is missing in my configuration but after hours of searching in the expert documentation, I still can't figure out what. Any pointers are appreciated.

Return to “Beginner's questions about the OmniPCX OFFICE”