Setting up a SIP service

disstopic

Setting up a SIP service

Post by disstopic »

We have an OmniPCX S (1G) unit. It currently works as PABX for 2 phone lines, with 8 analog phones and 2 IP phones.

We are interested in knowing if either a standard SIP account or a SIP trunk (provided by a third party) can be configured on this unit, with the ultimate goal of replacing the two phone lines with two VoIP lines, while retaining the handsets and configuration that is currently in place.

We have the Installer password, and we are able to connect to the unit with the Alcatel R1.1...R10.x Business software. The configuration is downloaded and it seems if we made a change, we can load that back onto the system.

The system has:

1 x CPU - CPU-4 (VoIP8)
1 x Mixed - AMX484-1 LH
1 x ISDN - PRA-T2 ISDN

First question, from a hardware point of view, will this configuration support external SIP lines? If not, could we potentially purchase the required hardware and swap out the PRA-T2, as I do not believe ISDN is being used here?

Under the System Limits page, I see VoIP Channels for both Authorized by Software Key and Really Activated are 0. If the hardware supports SIP lines, does this mean there is a license limitation, and if we were to purchase a license for two SIP channels, we would be able to add our external lines? Do Alcatel still offer these licenses for sale?

If we actually have everything we need, how do I configure an external SIP line? Under VoIP Parameters, I see VoIP Protocol is currently set to H323. If I change that to SIP, a new tab for SIP Trunk appears. I have not applied any changes, and I am concerned doing so would impact the two IP handsets currently connected.

Any advice or suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated!
alexeik

Re: Setting up a SIP service

Post by alexeik »

hi it depends on the provider, you want to connect. Normally you would have to upgrade you system to work correctly with any supported provider. But for this upgrade you need a businesspartner to sell you such an upgradem and who will help you with the integration.
disstopic

Post by disstopic »

Say for example I just want to connect a SIP trunk from a generic SIP provider.

I appreciate I may need a business partner, but this system is really very old, so I'd like to acquire any required hardware second hand, and only buy licenses if I need to.
alexeik

Post by alexeik »

you need a businessspartner to get a new cpu because he has to transfer your old licenses to the new cpu and then manage the missing licenses. And i doubt you get these new cpu´s second hand...
rkraehen

Post by rkraehen »

You could also check if your SIP trunk provider is offering a SIP to T2 gateway (eg Patton)

Return to “Beginner's questions about the OmniPCX OFFICE”