Only PWR and FAN work

Mor_

Only PWR and FAN work

Post by Mor_ »

Good morning,

Please excuse me for coming out this post from 2010. But I’ve been experiencing the same concern over my Alcatel OS 6450 switches in P48 and P24 versions. (https://www.alcatelunleashed.com/viewtopic.php?t=23684)

I have about twenty Alcatel OS 6450 switches, in PoE or not, and I often encounter this concern with my PoE version. I usually send them back to the service to receive them again quickly, but this time, I would like to understand what leads to this error.

Sometimes, in full production, I have a switch of one of my stack that stops with its LED 'PWR' in constant green, the LEDs of the plugged-in RJ ports also on constant, and its number in the displayed stack. Like the switch was frozen.
I pull it out and then put my spare. And when I reconnect my defective switch, only the LED 'PWR' and the fan (100%) light up. It is impossible to know the CLI via the console port (I specify that I use the adapter provided by Alcatel, and a perfectly compatible RS232 cable, which works with all my switches of the same range).

Do you have any idea where this might come from ? Or a solution other than after-sales ?

Thank you for your future answers :)
Gleylancer

Re: Only PWR and FAN work

Post by Gleylancer »

In general, check faulty switches with a console cable first and update the firmware on devices that crash repeatedly

To be honest, I'm having a hard time understanding your text.
Mor_

Post by Mor_ »

Ok sorry if it's incomprehensible.
To put it simply, I often encounter the same problem on alcatel switches.
The faulty switch once restarted only lights up its PWR LED and the fans run at 100%. Even connected with the original console cable or another, on putty for example nothing happens. The switch never goes into 'OK' or other status.
Gleylancer

Post by Gleylancer »

I've seen this behavior before when the switch is located in a stack with other switches which are not running from certified, but they all boot up to a certain point and show their progress on console.

If the switch just stops doing *anything* and there isn't even any output in console, not even miniboot, not even after rebooting, the switch would be considered dead from my side. I have over 2500 of these switches running - and I have never seen one that powers up and does not display miniboot, so part of me of thinks this might be a user error.

Return to “OmniSwitch 6450”