OmniPCX Office - Console cable question

mulgar

OmniPCX Office - Console cable question

Post by mulgar »

I am trying to establish a console connection to our Alcatel OmniPCX Office PBX but don't believe I have the right cable. I have searched to buy one (I'm located in Australia) but could not really source anything which looked correct. When asking our phone vendor they said to just take a Cisco console cable, cut the RJ45 end and crimp it reversing the pins. I did this but still did not have any luck. I'm not sure if the crimping is successful as I have no other way to test (I did try redoing it a few times).

I've tried both putty serial cable and following the steps to add the Alcatel modem to connect via V24 through OmniPCX. I've also tried connecting from different computers. At this point I'm still suspicious of the cable because I have no way of verifying it.

The connection is from PBX Config port -> RJ45 end of Cisco console cable (reversed) -> DB9 connector -> DB9 to USB adaptor (known working with other console cables on other network devices) -> USB/computer.

I guess I'm running out of options here and not sure how to proceed. I'm happy to buy it but I'm not sure on a reliable source (if purchasing just want to be confident buying the right cable). I'm not sure if there is anything simple I am missing happy to provide any further information.

For reference due to some networking changes we need to adjust the IP configuration on the PBX. I don't want to do this unless I have a backup way of accessing the PBX to undo any network changes (which don't rely on IP connectivity).

Thanks for any assistance in advance.
vad
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: OmniPCX Office - Console cable question

Post by vad »

For connection - you try to connect with OMC software? Or just serial connection for CLI (absent in OXO in common sense)?
mulgar

Post by mulgar »

Hi vad,

I can connect via OMC over IP. However we need to make some IP configuration changes to the IP connectivity on the PBX so I'm trying to have a backup way to connect if I lose IP connectivity to the PBX.

Unfortunately I don't have the required Alcatel console cable and I'm having trouble sourcing where these can be purchased from. I also tried reversing pins on a standard Cisco console cable (suggested by our phone vendor) but it doesn't seem to work properly.

Ideally I'm trying to source the "correct" Alcatel console cable so I can trust it, and if I still have issues then it must be whatever I'm doing to connect. I did follow instructions to install the Alcatel modem with associated COM port that the console cable is connected to but it wouldn't successfully connect.

Is there anywhere we can purchase correct Alcatel console cables? Everything I read suggests: (1) use the cable provided with the PBX (installation pre-dates my time here and there is no console cable in sight) or (2) contact your vendor to supply one (they just suggest reversing a Cisco console cable which I tried but still doesn't work).

I'm open to any suggestions, thanks for replying.
vad

Post by vad »

Do you have ALU Business-partner in your region? Ask him about cable.
For me, the easiest way - to use Cisco blue cable with reverse RG-45.
And for management - you have another back-up way - you can use set like 4035/4039.
mulgar

Post by mulgar »

Thanks again for your reply vad.
I have contacted our PBX partner, they suggested that we reverse a Cisco blue cable as mentioned in my original post - this was tried but couldn't get it to work. They have told me these console cables are no longer sold and cannot be sourced.
With regards to other comment about managing from 4035/4039 - I don't believe we have those handsets, mostly 4018, 4028 and 8028, but either way I don't think that would work if the PBX doesn't have any IP connectivity. The purpose of sorting out a console connection is because we need to make changes to the IP addressing and prefer to have a backup plan to access the PBX if we don't have IP connectivity to it and need to reverse the change.
Let me know if you have any other suggestions, pretty keen to try anything at this point. I will possibly try reversing another Cisco blue console cable but already spent a few hours trying this and didn't really have any way to validate the cable itself.
vad

Post by vad »

If you have problem with OMC via serial port (and you can restart PBX and have backup):
- check cable :lol: - connect serial port (as I remember 115200, 8, n,1) and restart PBX - do you have some output during CPU start (memory check etc)?
- if you have no problem with serial cable - try with another PC (in case of problem - I usually try to check with Windows XP)
KoenC

Post by KoenC »

Hi,

There's really no need to have an old serial cable.

Even if you would put your PBX 'cold' and even if it loses it's IP adress, you can always find out the new IP by connecting the PBX's LAN port to a mirror switch. Let the PBX boot, and it will broadcast its IP adress. Then put your PC's NIC in that subnet, connect a LAN cable from your PC to the PBX and simply connect by OMC.

If you're connected to the PBX you can make the changes in the IP config and reconnect the PBX to your LAN.

Good Luck
If I'm ever on life support, unplug me. Then plug me back in, see if that works...
juliuss696

Post by juliuss696 »

I am doing some work for a charity who have just decommissioned their telephone system. I have two OmniPCX Enterprise XL that boot up ok. I need to connect to these to reset to factory defaults and remove any reference to the charity so these can be passed on. I do not have any software to connect to these.
I do have a console cable and an cisco db 9 to RJ45 connector (this works ok on cisco routers).
I have a db9 to usb connector
I connect these two and have usb to serial connection into the config port
My system recognises this as Com 7

I use putty to make a connection with :
Serial connection, port 22, 115200 (also tried 9600)
8 data bits
1 stop bit
none for parity
Flow control XON/XOFF

I do not get any login prompt
Putty does not seem to connect

any thoughts anyone?

Many thanks

Julian
haroun

Post by haroun »

if we assume that pins are ok for oxe , you should change the putty setting to
serial
com7
9600-8-1-NONE-XON:XOFF
haroun

Post by haroun »

RJ45DB9 CS OXE.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Beginner's questions about the OmniPCX OFFICE”