Reporting unanswered/abandoned incoming Calls

mcdu

Reporting unanswered/abandoned incoming Calls

Post by mcdu »

Does anyone know of a way of using 4760 reports to accurately show abandoned incoming calls please?

There is a problem with the accurate reporting of unanswered / abandoned calls in both Accounting and Traffic Analysis Reports. This happens when an incoming call rings on an extension but it is answered on a different extension by group pickup.

Accounting shows these calls as unanswered with a call duration of zero. Ok, I can accept they were unanswered by the dialled extension even though they were answered by a different extension.
Traffic Analysis uses the name 'abandoned' in the Traffic Analysis reports and lists the calls answered by group pickup as abandoned. But they were not abandoned they were answered!

At the moment the only way we can accurately report on Abandoned Calls is by manually checking the incoming call logs. The incoming caller number for an unanswered call on one extension is then matched for the same number at the same time of day against the answering extension. There are 2 entries in the detail incoming call log. One for the extension which didn't answer and one for the extension which answered by pickup. If there are not 2 entries the call must be abandoned. This is how we proved the calls were in fact answered by a different extension via pick up. This is mind numbingly laborious, takes hours and is simply not possible to do for a large organisation on a monthly basis. Our staff are in and out of the office a lot and so we answer a lot of calls by group pickup.

How can we accurately report on abandoned calls using 4760? Any ideas and help gratefully received. I have tried and tested everything I can think of. Feeling desperate and confused! :?

Many thanks!
Zero

Re: Reporting unanswered/abandoned incoming Calls

Post by Zero »

Hi mcdu,

This is to validate your concern, the following case scenario should be the case:

Scenario 1-internal call: Extension 1111 dials extension 2222 and call was answered by group picked up using extension 3333
RESULT ON REPORT:

EXTENSION__________INITIAL DIALED NUMBER________CALLED NUMBER_________DURATION
1111__________________2222_________________________2222____________________00:00:00
1111__________________2222_________________________3333____________________00:00:25

Scenario 2-internal call: Extension 1111 dials extension 2222 and call was not answered/dropped
RESULT ON REPORT:

1111__________________2222_________________________2222____________________00:00:00

Scenario 3-external call: Mobile 99999999999 dials the number for extension 5555 and call was answered by group picked up using extension 4444
RESULT ON REPORT:

4444__________________5555_________________________99999999999_____________00:00:15

Scenario 4-external call: Mobile 99999999999 dials the number for extension 5555 and call was not answered/dropped
RESULT ON REPORT:

5555__________________5555_________________________99999999999_____________00:00:00

If your pertaining on each extension's call logs, I suggest to do your report on Accounting.

Thanks,
Zero
mcdu

Post by mcdu »

Hi Zero
I appreciate your interest and your kind reply. Unfortunately it doesn't help in this case. What you have written is the same method we used to manually check each call log record in the Accounting Reports to prove that many calls reported in Traffic Analysis Reports as Abandoned were NOT abandoned calls. Traffic Analysis is wrong!

What we need is a method to automatically report on abandoned incoming external calls. I cannot see how we can do this automatically in Accounting or Traffic Ananlysis. We cannot possibly manually check each individual call record using the Accounting Reports. It will take days of our time to check through the thousands of incoming calls we receive each month.

My question remains - How can I accurately and automatically report the number of abandoned calls using 4760/8770 Accounting Reports or Traffic Analysis Reports???

Grateful for any help or suggestions.
Many thanks
Zero

Post by Zero »

Hi mcdu,

Initially, that's part of the validation/clarification to be in line on your concern. If the provided test case scenarios is agreeable on your side specifically on external incoming calls then kindly manage your report using the Accounting and not the Traffic Analysis Report (as suggestion).

Now, handling your report definition entails the following parameters and conditions:

-Type of Report
--> when creating the report definition, kindly select "Grouped" (not Detailed)

- Date
--> to identify your report's date range

- Extension
--> to itemize each extension's number of external abandoned incoming calls

- Call Type
--> to specify what kind of call to be shown on your report
--> filter the parameter having all "incoming call" types with "OR" condition (set 6 incoming call types)
--> set display parameter to "not present"

- Duration
--> to specify the report as external abandoned incoming calls
--> filter the parameter equal "00:00:00"
--> set display parameter to "not present"

- No. of Calls
--> to show how many number of external calls were abandoned/not answered
--> modify the formula parameter as "Sum"

In addition, to have automatic report generation, please "schedule" the created report definition.

Thanks,
Zero
mcdu

Post by mcdu »

Hi Zero
And thank you again for taking an interest in this problem.
Unfortunately the report you have proposed is not the answer.
Your report will report on incoming calls which have zero call duration which have rung a specific extension. This is not the same as abandoned calls or unanswered calls. True they are unanswered but only on the extension number shown. They may be answered on a different extension.

The reason why is because of the way Alcatel reports on incoming calls. This is similar to your first reply....But our results are a little different to yours for external incoming calls. If I ring your DDI using my mobile number and another extension answers using Group Pickup there are 2 records (the same as you show for the internal caller scenario). We also checked through a few hundred real incoming calls and there were 2 call records from the same external number logged at the same hh:mm:ss. One with zero call duration and one greater than zero call duration indicating the call was answered by group pick up. By the way we are only interested in incoming calls from external callers. We do not use internal call logging. This is why I think your report (very good presentation thank you) will not work. I will be very happy if you prove me wrong! Anyway, this is what happens....

Here are 4 incoming calls made direct to your extension...

1st Call
I ring your DDI using my mobile. You do not answer. A colleague answers it using Group Pickup
This call is logged as an incoming call to your extension. My mobile number is shown. The date and time hh:mm:ss
It has call duration = zero (an unanswered call on your extension)
The same call is logged a second time against your colleagues extension number. My mobile number is shown. The date and time hh:mm:ss is the same as above.
It has a call duration >zero (an answered call on your colleagues extension)

4760 Reporting Total = 2 incoming calls, 1 was unanswered and 1 was answered. (But we know there was only one incoming call and it was answered!)

2nd Call
You do not answer. No one answers not even voicemail.
This call is logged as an incoming call to your extension
It has call duration = zero (this is an genuine unanswered / abandoned call)

4760 Reporting Total now is = 3 incoming calls, 2 unanswered, 1 answered

3rd Call
You answer!
This call is logged as an incoming call to your extension
Call duration is >zero

4760 Reporting Total now is 4 incoming calls, 2 unanswered, 2 answered

4th Call
You do not answer. A colleague answers using Group Pickup.
This call is logged as an incoming call to your extension.
Call duration = zero.
The same call is logged against your colleagues extension number.
Call duration >zero

4760 Reporting Total is now 6 incoming calls, 3 unanswered, 3 answered.

This is not correct! We know it is wrong.
There were only 4 incoming calls
2 were answered
2 were abandoned

Alcatel admit they double count calls. The Accounting Reports double-counts calls as shown above. A single call can be counted twice. Once as unanswered and once as answered. Alcatel records call information from the extension a call is delivered to or answered by. Alcatel does not record the call from point of view of the incoming call.

The Accounting Reports do not accurately report abandoned incoming calls. Accounting Reports do not accurately report total number of incoming calls.

My problem is I must report on Abandoned calls by Cost Centre and I am looking for a way to do this using either Accounting Reports or Traffic Analysis.

Traffic Analysis uses the field name 'Abandoned Calls' but they are the same as the unanswered calls in the Accounting Reports. I thought this was the answer :) But no, they are calculated in the same way shown in the example above. It is very bad of Alcatel to use the term 'Abandoned Calls' on the Traffic Analysis reports.

If you are thinking this can be solved by using 'initially dialled number' that does not help because the Cost Centre and other metrics are only associated with the 'extension' field and not 'initially dialled number' field. I have to report by Cost Centre. We have to know how many incoming calls are received by extensions belonging to a Cost Centre and how many of these calls are abandoned calls by Cost Centre. I thought it would be easy. Because of the double counting of calls and because unanswered calls are sometimes answered calls this is a real nightmare! The Alcatel counting of incoming calls is not correct and will not pass any audit.

I have made many test calls and run almost every type of customised report to resolve this issue. Which is why I turned to this board for help. I was hoping someone may have found a way to solve this problem.

Thank you again for taking the time to look at this for me. I appreciate it very much.

I'm not giving up! :lol:
Zero

Post by Zero »

Hi mcdu,

Thank you for elaborating your concern. However, I'm starting to get confused because I thought we had the same understanding on validating your concern.
What you have written is the same method we used to manually check each call log record in the Accounting Reports...
Based on your provided 4 examples of incoming calls, I've noticed that we're not on the same page on assessing the incoming call logs. Your 1st, 2nd, & 4th examples depicts my scenario 3, scenario 4, & scenario 3 respectively. But our evaluation/outcome is not the same. As I understand, your report focuses on incoming external call.
What we need is a method to automatically report on abandoned incoming external calls.
Now, as I verified my scenario 3 & 4, answered incoming call is only accounted to the only extension that answers the call while the incoming call that is not answered or abandoned or having zero duration registered only to the extension that is being called and no consideration of not answered or abandoned or having zero duration for those extensions that their call is being picked-up since it is picked-up/answered.

From your example,

1st Call
I ring your DDI and you don't answer ["continuously ringing"]. A colleague answers it using Group Pickup

is same as

Scenario 3-external call: Mobile 99999999999 dials the number for extension 5555 and call was answered by group picked up using extension 4444

However, your outcomes specifies that:

This call is logged as an incoming call to your extension.
It has call duration = zero (an unanswered call on your extension)
The same call is logged a second time against your colleagues extension number.
It has a call duration >zero (an answered call on your colleagues extension)

4760 Reporting Total = 2 incoming calls, 1 was unanswered and 1 was answered. (But we know there was only one incoming call and it was answered!)

While my actual evaluation on the report shows:

EXTENSION_____________________________INITIAL DIALED NUMBER________CALLED NUMBER__________________________DURATION
4444 [picked-up the call]__________________5555 [DDI]___________________99999999999 [incoming number]_____________00:00:15

and no trace of the initial incoming (abandoned) call from 99999999999 to 5555 having zero (00:00:00)

Moreover, please be reminded about scenario 1 & 2 which is an internal call wherein the difference of call logs is very evident on the external incoming. In this case, trace is found on the initial called extension when it was picked-up.

Scenario 1-internal call: Extension 1111 dials extension 2222 and call was answered by group picked up using extension 3333
RESULT ON REPORT:

1111__________________2222_________________________3333____________________00:00:25

Scenario 2-internal call: Extension 1111 dials extension 2222 and call was not answered/dropped
RESULT ON REPORT:

Hence, no logging of abandoned call on initial extension being called whenever an external incoming call is answered by group picked-up. Otherwise, it is an internal call.

Should you need clarifications, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Zero
mcdu

Post by mcdu »

I've been meaning to update this with the final outcome because I don't want any user of this forum to be misled. If anyone reads this topic and believes it is possible to report on abandoned incoming calls using the 4760/8770 call log reporting application -
IT CANNOT BE DONE!

A few weeks after I posted my original question Alcatel eventually confirmed what I had proved. It is not possible to report on abandoned calls. Alcatel also states that double call counting may occur when an incoming call is unanswered on one extension and picked up on another. Therefore the incoming call count is not accurate. Alcatel's design is primarily focused on outgoing calls and it was never intended to be used as a performance monitor for incoming calls.

I won't go back through everything relating to my original post. If you doubt it then make some test incoming calls from an external number to an extension. Answer some by group pickup. Answer some on the extension. Do not answer some.

Now run a report showing all incoming calls over that period. Display the Extension, Initally dialled number, Duration, Called Number (note: this field contains the calling number on incoming calls). Then try to write a report which only shows the abandoned calls grouped by cost centre and by the extension on which the caller abandoned. Check and compare this report against the first report and you will see the problem.

Maybe there is some really clever way of producing the stats required in the format required and, if anyone wants to take up the challenge, please do so. Until then I'll continue to agree with Alcatel - it's simply not possible.
Hugue Esparon

Post by Hugue Esparon »

Does unanswered calls also include forwarding to voicemail, immediate forwarding, call pickup etc..

Return to “OmniVista 4760”