Virtual Chassis

suzuki_todd

Virtual Chassis

Post by suzuki_todd »

Hello,

New guy & new to ALE switches. In short, our organization’s Network Engineer retired & I am left to configure a few ALE switches. I have four 6560s which I have config’d for Virtual Chassis (VC). My question now is, what do I need to do in order to pass traffic from…let’s say switch # 2 to my organization’s network? Do I configure one port on the Master switch & that one port can pass traffic to the rest of the switches in the stack?
Gleylancer

Re: Virtual Chassis

Post by Gleylancer »

In a Virtal Chassis, the Ports are named Chassis Number/Module/Interface.

Since 6560s only have one module, that number is always 1. So for Switch 2, the interface will be addressed as 2/1/x.
suzuki_todd

Post by suzuki_todd »

By configuring Virtual Chassis create a “trunk” port on the Master switch? Or is there a separate command for that?
ruemelin

Post by ruemelin »

Hi,

I for my part just have the 6860-series, but I guess it is basically the same:
You connect the chassis on vf-link-ports which you can see as trunks if you like. I for my part see them as part of the backplane and after the virtual chassis is built up you have one "big" switch with respect to configuration ect.
So if you have just one uplink one one of the chassis you still can use all vlans on the other chassis as well.
For redundancy I suggest to configure multiple uplinks - if you have them - on different chassis within the stack.

Best regards

Return to “OmniSwitch 6560”