dual internet access

maxmania

dual internet access

Post by maxmania »

Hi everyone!!

I need to connect two CPE routers to access the internet, and give to the hosts load balance and one gateway.
In another words, I have two different ISP, and I need to join both in one access, can I do it with a 6860E?
The CPE routers are home version, not enterprise, and from different manufactures.
Any hint's???

Tnx in advance!!

Maxmania
Best Regards
Jose Alves
devnull
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: dual internet access

Post by devnull »

my 0.02$:
You could theoretically try to work with QOS Rules and PBR, but frankly thats not what a L3 Switch is made for.

Even a expensive firewall from Ci*co had/has issues when it comes to loadbalanceing traffic,
I don't think you wil be happy with a 6860 doing it. I heared good comments about UBNTs Edgerouter in such situations, but have no personal experience with it.
maxmania

Post by maxmania »

Hi Devnull,

Yap, I think with not work, even is I use SLB.
Tnx for you comment!!
Best Regards
Jose Alves
devnull

Post by devnull »

SLB is Serverload balancing and something completly different to load balancing internet traffic.
Also SLB will not compete against commercial load balancers that offer way more features.
on the otherhand: slb comes for free, so if you have need for that it may be worth to invest some time and see whether it fits your need - but running a linux box with ngnix/HAproxy or IPVS will most likely give you more features with a "good enough" performance.

Return to “OmniSwitch 6860 / 6860E”