show mac-address-table - get IPs?

bdillard

show mac-address-table - get IPs?

Post by bdillard »

I have the IP address of a an unknown device and the mac address of another. I'd like to know the port the ip address is plugged into as well as its mac address so I can figure out the manufacturer.

I can guess the port on the stack of switches based on a mac address but not much else - i'd like to know what IP is assigned to that mac address so I can see by the web interface on it what is going on with it.
devnull
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: show mac-address-table - get IPs?

Post by devnull »

You need to "ping" the IP address and then have a look in the arp table.
-> Do this on a devices of the same IP Range or on the default gateway... you will not see arp entries for devices in other networks!

On Windows /Linux:
arp -a

on Alcatel Switch:
show arp

Now you have the MAC you can have a look at the mac tables of your switches to find the port.. either Omnivista or manual work..
Start at your Core Switch,
show mac-address-table
show mac-learning (on 6900/6860)

Now you should see the Port where the Mac is seen (e.g. a link towards a distribution switch. log into that devices, repeat.. you will find the next "hop".

At the end you should be on a switch, where show mac-address-table will tell you "learned on 1/19" -> Your device is on Slot1 port 19
devnull

Post by devnull »

You need to "ping" the IP address and then have a look in the arp table.
-> Do this on a devices of the same IP Range or on the default gateway... you will not see arp entries for devices in other networks!

On Windows /Linux:
arp -a

on Alcatel Switch:
show arp

Now you have the MAC you can have a look at the mac tables of your switches to find the port.. either Omnivista or manual work..
Start at your Core Switch,
show mac-address-table
show mac-learning (on 6900/6860)

Now you should see the Port where the Mac is seen (e.g. a link towards a distribution switch. log into that devices, repeat.. you will find the next "hop".

At the end you should be on a switch, where show mac-address-table will tell you "learned on 1/19" -> Your device is on Slot1 port 19
bdillard

Post by bdillard »

Thanks - I'll give that a try. So if I only know the mac address of a device how do I get the IP address?

Return to “OmniSwitch 6450”