NRS I Questions

blucube

NRS I Questions

Post by blucube »

Hello. I'm currently reading through / studying the Alcatel-Lucent Scalable IP Networks Self-Study Guide. I'm taking notes / creating a document chapter by chapter. Just finishing Chapter 1 I am trying to summarize some key points on the chapter review. There is a point the book suggests to know after Chapter 1 I'd like to summarize, but I feel the point it's self is kind of a grey area or isn't registering completely with me.

The bullet point is:

The basic components of the Internet needed for it function

Now, I know in the book it states in order for the Internet to function properly the "underlying" components need to be able to communicate. As far as what the "underlying" components are, previous to the statement it spoke about the "end-user/host" to say a DSL modem, the Demarcation point, the ISP and IXPs. It also states that all network interfaces need the ability to forward IP packets/datagrams.

I suppose the above may be what it's asking for, but I wasn't super confident in putting that in my self created study guide and wanted to reach out to see how other people may summarize the question?

Thanks!
mivens

Re: NRS I Questions

Post by mivens »

I think the point it is trying to make is that the internet is just a set of networks connected together.

This leads to understanding the concepts of the Point of Presence and demarcs, the use of IXPs to interconnect networks, the distinction (a bit outdated) between content providers and traditional service providers and the (again slightly outdated) concept of tier-1, tier-2 providers etc.
blucube

Post by blucube »

Thanks!
blucube

Post by blucube »

New Question:

In the book, it states the 7750 SR series backplane provides 40Gbps per IOM (with the exception of the small form factor 7750 SR-1 w/ 20Gbps integrated). However, on the 7450 ESS series it's not entirely clear. What I have to go off of is:

The 7450 ESS-7 and ESS-6 have integrated switching with 100Gbps and 80Gbps respectively. Leading me to believe that the 7450 ESS series backplane provide 20Gbps per IOM; hence the 7450 ESS-12 would be capable of 200Gbps throughput, opposed to the 400Gbps throughput the 7750 SR-12 can provide.

Is this correct?
mivens

Post by mivens »

Remember that the book is out of date.
It depends which generation of linecards and fabric cards are being used.

For example, an SR-7 or SR-12 with SFM-5 fabric it's 200Gbps redundant per slot if you use cards with a T3 fabric chip.
So as it has 10 IMM/IOM slots, an SR-12 chassis can provide 2000Gbps full-duplex with fabric redundancy.

For the 7450, take a look at the R15 7450 Data Sheet.

It's not just about the backplane it's about the speed that each fabric link can run at which is dependent on the fabric chips in the line cards and in the switch fabric modules themselves.

The ESS-6 is an old chassis and the numbers you quote are for the SFM2-80G card that works in that box only.
blucube

Post by blucube »

Thanks again

Return to “7750 SR”