EMTL & Cisco Router

dennooze

EMTL & Cisco Router

Post by dennooze »

Hi All,

I need some urgent help on EMTL card.

I have done various integrations with E&M but first time I'm having so much difficulties with the installation of this card.

I have also called my principal and they can't provide me much info due to this is a legacy technology card.

I'm trying to connect to Cisco IOS Voice router and so far, I have tried 2 wire and 4 wire and tried reversing the physical cablings and even play around with the settings inside the Trunk COS but none work.

I have various issues whereby the trunk after the 1st call made even it is not through, the line circuit hangs, and the rest of the settings I have tested gives me problem such as no dial tone from Cisco Router, and double digits or nonstop automatic digits dialling when dialing single number.

I have done extensive checkings on Cisco router and there's no hardware issues in it and it's working fine with other PBX tie line card.

Is there any documentations or based on expert's experiences which can help out in this area ?
I have stuck on this problem for almost 2 weeks and not able to solve it.
I'm not able to deliver my customer's promise and my situation is very uptight here. Need urgent assistance in this matter.

Please help :(
alex

Post by alex »

With E&M signalling you should know which exact flavor of E&M is used on CISCO' side.
No sense trying different configurations on Alcatel - there are dozens of wiring variants (Type I, Type II, etc) + dozens of signaliing variants (DTMF, decadic, immediate start, wink start etc). It could take few years to check all possible variants.:D
Check with Cisco expert - may be they can tell you which type of E&M is configured on their box.
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
murraya
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Post by murraya »

Also with E&M earthing is very important. have you checked that?
Best Regards
Murray

ACSE 10.0 corporate
ACSE 6.x IPT data
alex

Post by alex »

murraya wrote:Also with E&M earthing is very important. have you checked that?
If you mean "common ground" between two PABXes that's true in case of type I and type IV E&M.
For E&M type II- IV there is no need for common ground between two PABXes. In those cases additional "return" wires are used to dectect signal loops.
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
alex

Post by alex »

dennooze wrote:I have done extensive checkings on Cisco router and there's no hardware issues in it and it's working fine with other PBX tie line card.

Can you provide "show running-config" output?
Or can you check with "other PBX tie line card" which type of signalling they use to connect to Cisco?
dennooze

Post by dennooze »

Hi All,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

On the cisco side, I don't have much issues. In fact, I'm trying to simulate the same environment as my customer's PBX.

The Cisco Router I used this configuration :-
Voice-Port 0/1/1
Operation 2-Wire
Type 5
Signal Immediate
cptone MY

I have also tried changing the settings to wink start & 4-wire operations and none work.

I have checked one of my customer sides who's actually running the old Migration 4300 Tie Line card and I duplicated the settings from there. They are running 4-wire operations & wink start signalling. But when I tramsfer the the Alcatel settings to this customer site, it didn't work and currently using the similar setup but it didn't work. We suspected there maybe compatibility issues, we proposed to customer EMTL card which on Cisco's website they have proposed 2-wire configurations.

I'm totally clueless especially on Alcatel side. I have done integrations from Cisco Voice router to NEC SV8100 & even Panasonic PBXs I don't have any issue at all.

This issue has been bugging me for sometime and I'm not able to solve it.

Is there any guideline whereby I can do loop test on the Alcatel EMTL card ? Is there any specific settings on configurations steps I need to do in order to do the loop test ?

Please advise.
dennooze

Post by dennooze »

Hi All,

I managed to solve the call issues.

It's due to some cabling errors.

But now I'm facing an one way voice for my E&M calls. I can only makes calls from Cisco Voice Router into Alcatel PBX.
From Alcatel PBX, after thorough checking, we couldn't obtain dial tones or system tone from the Cisco Voice router.

Please advise me on how I can solve this issue.

Thanks.
alex

Post by alex »

dennooze wrote: It's due to some cabling errors.
Yeah. With the E&M interfaces you should check the cabling 10 times .;)
From Cisco config it is clear that you use 2-wire (a/b) voice connection, immediate dialling (without wink) and type V connection.
dennooze wrote: From Alcatel PBX, after thorough checking, we couldn't obtain dial tones or system tone from the Cisco Voice router.
Dial tone should be supplied by Cisco.
Do you mean that you do not hear caled party too?
dennooze

Post by dennooze »

Finally we managed to solve the issue.

It's the cabling issue, one of the wire reversed, and also the pinning from Cisco router to Alcatel PBX is weird unlike when we connect from Cisco to other vendors.

Alcatel documentation is quite weak and I shouldn't have trusted the original documentations and if not mistaken they are not according to the world standards of E&M cabling.

For example, instead of using T & T1, R & R1, Alcatel documentation stated A1 B1 C1 D1 instead.

And we instead we are left to guess the pinning from our end.

But anyway, thank you for all the support given in this forum. You guys have been very helpful to me.
Please proceed closing this thread.

Return to “External Services”