loading G1.503.23.b on to new IBM x3250 AS

PCInstaller, it's tricks, it's problems...
knightr1der
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

loading G1.503.23.b on to new IBM x3250 AS

Post by knightr1der »

Hi crew,

strange thing happened when I went to load this baby

It was shipped to cust with R9, but I wanted 8.0.1 so I logged in and issues grubboot command (via root account of course) and procceded to load only the base release G1503. ( I am an old school boy so even if I have all 3 folders in my C:\DHS3mgr location, I still load all parts separately).

In the beginning, it said something like "HDD was too big, do you wish to downsize - yes or no" so I said yes and everything finished success.

After that I rebooted and about 20 lines after the boot menu (Linux or GRUB) it hanged with error about "too many IDE devices found blah blah blah"

Anyway, I re-installed but with selecting the complete version (let PC installer find base and static in DHS3mgr) and also, when the HDD warning came, I said "no" this time and everything was fine after.

So, I just wanted to know, how do you guys play this one out? Should you resize HDD when it asks? SHould you always choose full version for PC installer choice?

TIA.. :D
History repeats itself - because no one listens the first time!
-------------------
ACSE List
- Rel 9.x Corp
- IP Advanced
- CCD Expert
- OmniTouch CC Premium R8.x

alex

Re: loading G1.503.23.b on to new IBM x3250 AS

Post by alex »

knightr1der wrote:... I am an old school boy so even if I have all 3 folders in my C:\DHS3mgr location, I still load all parts separately...

:D Old habits (of old rabbit) die hard
knightr1der wrote: In the beginning, it said something like "HDD was too big, do you wish to downsize - yes or no" so I said yes and everything finished success.
You did not mentioned HDD size. May be it is 1 TB?
knightr1der wrote: After that I rebooted and about 20 lines after the boot menu (Linux or GRUB) it hanged with error about "too many IDE devices found blah blah blah"

Anyway, I re-installed but with selecting the complete version (let PC installer find base and static in DHS3mgr) and also, when the HDD warning came, I said "no" this time and everything was fine after.

So, I just wanted to know, how do you guys play this one out? Should you resize HDD when it asks? SHould you always choose full version for PC installer choice?

TIA.. :D
Actually only full version (G1.503 in your case) contains initial procedure for the disk preparation. Old Releases just silently downsized HD (e.g. 40 GB to 10 GB).
I did load some systems with full version (with latest dynamic patch) and with step-by-step method (full version first, then static patch, then dynamic patch). I noticed no difference (Why there should by any? :D )
Last week I loaded twin CPUs each one with different method.
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Gedeon

Post by Gedeon »

The new method with patches is the best solution to load the CPU.
With this, you install the soft with the latest version of linux, and also the latest version of ramdisk if it exist.
And the partion/format procedure is included in the ramdisk. If a bug is solved by a new ramdisk, this correction is in a patch, and the patch can't be loaded with the version installation of course.

I'm an older 4400 man (the first version I used was A7) and I load CPU (4400 or OXE) with many method.
I prefer the full method, called standard installation.

G.

knightr1der

Post by knightr1der »

Gedeon wrote:I'm an older 4400 man (the first version I used was A7)
Holy $4it! that is a whole century before electricity was invented :lol:

thx for the reply though - much appreciated guys!
History repeats itself - because no one listens the first time!
-------------------
ACSE List
- Rel 9.x Corp
- IP Advanced
- CCD Expert
- OmniTouch CC Premium R8.x

Return to “Software Loading”